The sleep conundrum

People love to tell you how important it is to get a good nights rest. I don't mean to pick on this Daily Worth article, its just the most recent one I've seen. When you are young (i.e., before you have kids) you take it for granted. You sleep in on the weekends - stay out late at night and don't worry about it.

For me, after having Lucy, I wouldn't tell you I feel like I am not getting enough sleep. That's not the problem. I go to bed by 10 p.m. or so. On work days I wake up at 5:45 a.m. to have some "me" time and get ready for work. On weekends we all may get to sleep in until 7 a.m. The problem is that while I am trying to take care of myself by getting a good nights rest - all the other things I should do (clean, clean and did I mention clean?) don't get done. I end up feeling guilty when I use the hour or so between when Lucy goes to sleep and when I go to sleep to blog. Or read.

So, here is my conundrum: what do I give up? The sleep, the fun stuff (blog / reading), the household stuff are all important to me and I am working hard on finding the balance. I guess its only 6 months in - so I can't expect to know it all now.

But I'd love any advice people have. One thing I am thinking is to make a list of all the little things that need to get done and just try and do one or two every evening or every morning before work (if I have time.) I always see these chore lists - and think they are good in theory but I don't know if I could stick to it.

Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment